Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Spinach + Orzo Soup

There is something about the cooler fall weather that makes me want to make soup after soup after soup. I have cooked more soup in the last month than I have in the past six months. This spinach and orzo soup has been one of my favorites. It is healthy, filling, and this recipe makes a ton. I ended up freezing two quart-size bags for later.
 
 
Spinach + Orzo Soup
 
Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb spinach, fresh or frozen, defrosted
1 – 15 oz can diced Italian tomatoes (with oregano and basil)
1 lb package orzo pasta
2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
2 quarts water
olive oil
 
Directions:
Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of a stock pot. Add onions and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, spinach, chicken or vegetable stock and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
Add orzo cook and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until orzo is tender.
 
I topped it with cheese and served it with garlic bread. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I could soup every day in the fall/winter accompanied by some crusty bread! :) I'll have to try this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love orzo and spinach so I will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete