Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, April 20, 2012

Picnic Primped + Chicken Salad


When I saw a Southern Living article earlier this spring featuring Mad Men's costume designer, Janie Bryant, I knew that a picnic theme would be perfect for a Friday's Fancies outfit! I emailed Alison and she thought it was a wonderful idea. I instantly fell in love with the blue Yumi Kim romper and immediately had to track it down online. Janie's picks for a picnic got my mind reeling in the direction of planning a spring picnic. {Click here see the article on southernliving.com}
Untitled #38
To me, the perfect picnic includes a red and white checkered tablecloth and a wicker picnic basket full of goodies such as wine, cheese and chicken salad on croissants. What better way to stay cool than in a floral romper and big floppy hat?! You're shoes are probably going to get kicked off anyway, so wear some comfy flats.
Untitled #37

Thursdays are date nights at our house. Sometimes Bryan plans the night, sometimes I plan the night, sometimes we just grab pizza and a movie. This week I decided to take the reigns and plan a little picnic.

Plates, wine glasses, napkins, a plastic tablecloth and bug spray were among the must-haves for our evening outside. My mom gave us the cutest picnic basket when Bryan and I got married, but unfortunately we have no extra space in our house so I had to improvise without it.

{Please excuse the ugly wrinkles in the tablecloth}

Bryan had requested chicken salad on croissants, so that's what I made as our main dish. I picked up a broccoli salad, cheese, honey and dessert at two local shops.


Thanks to a friend we found the perfect place for our picnic at a lake a little bit outside of town. Do you like to go on picnics? What are your go-to items to take?


{Super Simple} Chicken Salad

2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
1 1/2 cups grapes, halved
4 green onions, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup light mayo
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped

Mix well and serve on croissants.

*Green or red grapes work well in this recipe.
*I always start out with 1/4 cup of mayo, but add more if needed.

...........

Don't forget that today is the last day to enter my Kate Spade giveaway!

19 comments:

  1. So cute! I think a picnic might be on my agenda with my boyfriend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! Looks wonderful! Love both rompers! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously cannot thank you enough for this fabulous idea, pretty lady! You knocked it out of the park--and I'm so so thankful to have you as a part of the Friday's Fancies fam :) much love! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving both of those rompers! They are adorable! And I love that you actually went on a picnic! That chicken salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the rompers and the pink wedges in the first outfit! What a fun idea, I haven't been on a picnic in ages, perhaps we'll have to plan one for this weekend :) Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! I love that first outfit! Looks like a wonderful picnic! You now have me wanting chicken salad so looks like I will be going to the school to buy ingredients today lol. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your blog girl! The picnic idea is so fun, I just never seem to get around to doing one. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog today and I will definitely be entering your Kate Spade giveaway! Hope you entered our Tory Burch flip flop giveaway. Today's the last day!
    www.winetastegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG this is awesome!! Just love that you had a picnic for your date night! Perfect!!! And absolutely love your picnic outfit! Thanks for coming over and visiting our blog. We are already following you. Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw I love that you do date nights, and love the picnic idea even more!! Love the rompers.... so darn cute. It's back to cold and rainy here, so I am ready for the warm weather to return!! And no, not engaged :) a friend of mine and alex's got engaged last night though so we'll be celebrating this weekend!! Hope you have a great weekend!!
    xo
    http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Admittedly I am a little afraid of trying out rompers, but that one is too cute! I love your picnic date. I'll have to try that some time.

    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you actually planned and went on the picnic too!! How fun!! It has been forever since we have done one around here. You have once again influenced me to plan one soon! Stacie xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your outfit is PERFECT! Seriously, I wish I could wear that on the picnic I'm going on tomorrow! Love it! I am so glad that you found my blog so I could find yours. :) YAY for new blog friends!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm your newest follower and I am loving your blog! That picnic is so adorable, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, you and your hubby are just the cutest! how sweet you have date nights weekly. i guess you could say we do, but it usually us sitting on the couch watching tv. ha. at least we're together right!

    i totally love the hot pink wedges and floral romper. I wish i owned both pieces to wear this weekend. have a fabulous weekend girl!

    anica

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore both of those romper suits! The chicken salad looks amazing too :)

    Laura xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously now, can we just call it a weekend and meet in the park for a picnic?! Because this is the cutest outfit in the history of outdoor outfits :)

    ReplyDelete