If you are looking for a hearty, yet easy recipe to throw together while company is in town, look no further. I think I might have posted this stew recipe a long time ago, but want to share it again. This was our girls' night meal on this past Monday. (See Mollye, I am remembering to post what we eat--sorta.)
Tuscan White Bean and Sausage Stew
3/4 pound hot Italian sausage links (I use pre-cooked smoked sausage links, sliced)
2 medium carrots
1 medium bulb fresh fennel (I use an onion)
1 can (14.5-ounce) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups chicken broth
4 garlic cloves, pressed
2 cans (15-ounce) cannellini beans
1 package of fresh basil
1. Remove casings from sausage. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch nuggets.
2. Place sausage into 4 quart (or 4 liter) casserole and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
3. As sausage cooks, peel carrots.
4. Chop carrots and fennel; add to casserole and cook an additional 3-5 minutes, or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables begin to brown.
5. Stir tomatoes, broth and garlic into sausage mixture.
6. Drain and rinse beans using small colander; add to casserole.
7. Simmer stew, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
8. As stew simmers, chop basil. Remove casserole from heat; stir in basil. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings