Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Yummy Breakfast

Inslee Haynes is an illustrator whose work I absolutely adore. She captures  all sorts of situations and turns them into eye-catching pieces of beautifully fun art. When I saw her "Un-Barefoot Contessa" picture this week, I sent it to Bryan immediately saying how I had to have it for my kitchen. I am all about stilettos in the kitchen, right?
 via

Earlier this week I decided that to make something for breakfast that would last more than just one morning. My local grocery store was having a bogo sale on strawberries, which meant strawberries galore. I first rinsed all of them and then patted them dry.


Half of them went onto a cookie sheet to freeze. {sans stems}


After they were frozen I pulled them out and put them into a freezer bag. By freezing them individually first, it keeps them from sticking together in the bag once frozen.


The other half of the strawberries when into a tasty oatmeal breakfast bake. It really did last all week long. Next time I might cut individual serving sizes and freeze them to pull out when needed. It was plenty sweet and agave syrup will probably be my alternative when I make it again. Also, there is no limit to what type of fruit to use. I will probably try blueberries next.


Strawberry and Banana Oatmeal Bake

Ingredients:
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup walnut pieces, chopped
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 375*. Spray a 10.5 x 7 baking dish heavily with non-stick spray. {I used two different dishes since I didn't have one this size.}

In a large bowl, mix the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, half of the  walnut pieces, half of the strawberries and half of the chocolate. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla.

Add all of the oatmeal mixture to your baking dish. Layer the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on the top. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of everything. Give the dish a little shake to make sure it seeps into every corner.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the egg mixture has set. {Insert a toothpick if you are unsure.}

*This is great re-heated in the microwave the next morning.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty! I am going to try and make it this weekend, lets cross my fingers it looks as pretty as yours.

    I found your blog through my dear friend, blondeepisodes. I just started blogging and trying to make new friends in the blog world. Come check out my blog and tell me what you think :) Have a great week!
    http://aflameoffashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks right up my alley! Mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete