Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Workout + Pasta Salad

Have you all seen this picture floating around Pinterest? This lady is working hard. Are you doing your blogger workout each day?


For those of you who are runners, Daphne got back in the swing of things this week and did a wonderful Marathon Monday post on breathing correctly. Go check it out and tell her how much you enjoy it. She has some fantastic workout posts.


What's my tip of the week for you? Cut out the sugar. Before you slather on the salad dressing or drink that vitamin water, check the sugar content. I highly suggest you cut out cokes or scale back if you drink them frequently. They are so bad for you. Google "foods with sugar" or "foods high in sugar" and you will be amazed at what all is listed.


Need a little help getting motivated to exercise? I thought this tip from a Pinterest user was great. Put money in a jar each time you work out and let it go towards something you have really wanted. Another option is to make a list of rewards for each milestone you complete. {Write it out to hold yourself accountable.} It could be to purchase a new sports bra after you have been able to run three miles without stopping. Or to buy a new dress when you lose an inch in your waistline. Set realistic goals and work towards them with something fun as an incentive.



I used to rarely eat whole grains. That was one major thing that I have altered in my eating habits the past year. They reduce cholesterol, the risk of heart disease, certain cancers, and diabetes.

"Whole grains are necessary for proper digestion, calming the nervous system, encouraging sleep and satisfying hunger and taste, thereby decreasing cravings, while promoting energy and endurance, elimination, good reflexes, a long memory and clear thinking. Whole grains require a different digestive procedure than refined grains do."
Health & Wellbeing


A loaf of bread is rarely found in my house, and if it is, it is a multi-grain bread. I prefer to buy whole grain tortillas or pita pockets as alternatives to regular bread loaves. Bryan and I both eat oats for breakfast at least 3-4 days a week, in one form or another. All of the pastas we use are whole grain, too. This is just a health choice that we have made together. It is a lot to make a major change in your eating routine, but I encourage you to add whole grains into your diet, whether it be for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I enjoy making pasta salads when the weather is warm. They are easy to put together at beginning of the week and usually last for days. If I eat pasta salad for lunch, I will eat a lean protein and something green for dinner.


Greek Pasta Salad

Dressing:
1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. basil dried basil
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 teaspoons Cavender's Greek Seasoning
1-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. granulated sugar

Salad:
1 pound rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3/4 cup Kalamata olives
1-1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
2-3 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced into small pieces (optional)

1. Mix all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and let sit.
2. In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta, tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, green onions, olives, feta cheese and chicken.
3. Toss the pasta in about 1/2 of the dressing. If you think it needs more, add to it. I never use all of the dressing. Chill and serve cold.

*Feel free to use pepperoni instead of chicken. Add anything else you might enjoy.
*The picture above doesn't show it made with peppers or the cucumber.
*The original recipe says to add 1/2 of the dressing to the pasta and chill over night. Right before you serve it you are to add the rest and toss. This is way too much dressing in my opinion, therefore I only use about half.

..........

Go check out the items added to my Blog Sale!

8 comments:

  1. Great post and I'm going to check her post on breathing out now. Keep your healthy/exercise posts coming...so inspirational. Never enough of those going around blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 you :) Thanks for the shout our my dear!

    Great post! So....what state are we meeting in for a half marathon?? :)

    That recipe looks delish!!

    Eat less sugar, ha, LOVE IT!!!

    I'm about to hit the pavement...wish you were here to go with me-
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. that greek pasta salad looks incredible!!!! i love your health + fitness posts so much! one of my healthy habits that I think is accidental is I only drink water (oh... and booze), but I never drink soda, sports drinks or coffee mostly because I hate the way they taste. love the idea of a money jar for workout rewards too :)

    http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the tips! Definitely things to think about. Great recipe too! Stacie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post, great great tips! The pasta salad looks amazing. Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This salad looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, that pasta salad looks delish! That is one of Cameron's requests to keep stocked in the fridge - along with olives & feta cheese. :) I need to take your advice and cut out the sugar - I'm not toooo bad but I do have to have a Coke and a piece of candy every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummm that looks sooo delish!! I love pasta salad in the summer too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete