Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Make Ahead (Freezable) Breakfasts

Last week I got in the cooking mode. Before we moved I cooked every single night of the week. Now I still cook, but not nearly as much as I would like to each week. Occasions arise--a going away party, dinner with friends at their house, I have a salad and fix Bryan something later if he works late--you get the drift. Anywho, I felt like I needed to get a little cooking out of my system, therefore I cooked breakfast meals all day long. It all started with some tasty little things called muffins. Then came breakfast quiche. And then breakfast burritos. I told you I cooked all day!

Banana Oat Muffins


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas

Directions:
1. Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg slightly. Stir in the milk, oil and vanilla. Add the mashed banana and combine thoroughly. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
3. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with bake cups and divide batter among them. Bake at 400* for 18-20 minutes. *See note below. 

Mini Mushroom & Sausage Quiches


Ingredients:
8 oz. ground turkey
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
1/4 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1 tsp. pepper
5 eggs
3 egg whites
1 cup milk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325*. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking oil. **I forgot to do this. Luckily they came out ok, but don't forget this step.
2. Cook sausage in a nonstick skillet until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan and cook mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
3. Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
4. Bake until the tops are just starting to brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Then take them out and let cool completely on the rack. *See note below. 

Breakfast Burritos


Ingredients:
8 oz. turkey sausage
6-8 eggs, depending on the size
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
cheddar cheese, shredded (or any kind)
small jar of salsa
1/2 can black beans
10 tortillas

Directions:
1. Cook sausage in a nonstick skillet for about 4 minutes. Add scallions to saute for 2 minutes. Add beans and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Whisk eggs in a bowl and add to sausage mixture and cook until light and fluffy.
3. Transfer to bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes. (I put mine in the fridge.)
4. Fold salsa and cheese into sausage and egg mixture. Then divide evenly among the tortillas. *See note below.

*I made all of these meals to put in the freezer so I could pull one out each morning and send with Bryan to work with yogurt or fruit. I put the muffins in freezer bags. The quiche was wrapped individually in plastic wrap and then put into freezer bags. Once the burritos were made, I placed them on a cookie sheet in the freezer just until they were set in form. Then I took them out, wrapped them individually in plastic wrap and placed them in freezer bags.


9 comments:

  1. What wonderful ideas! I will definitely have to do this when I have a house. Currently I have worlds smallest freezer.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genious ideas. I really need to make an effort to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just pinned these! Thank you :) xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm those little baby quiches are awesome! Ian and I usually eat relatively few carbs, so this would be perfect for us to have in the freezer. Especially because I am constantly trying to get him to eat a breakfast that doesn't consist solely of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I do muffins often, but will have to try these other ones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I love freezing in individual portions so I always have something ready for a quick lunch to take to work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had dinner yet and looking at those quiches is like torture right now!

    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those recipes look wonderful....especially since it's 7 am here and I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you prepare the quiches in the morning? Microwave? How long?

    ReplyDelete