Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Healthy Snacks

Let's be honest, we all get hungry between meals. It does absolutely no good to sit and listen to your tummy growl just because you don't want to eat anything until your next planned meal. If you are trying to be healthy, there are tons of options of things you can eat without having to eat something with lots of salt, sugar or fat.

Get the smallest size of plastic baggies and split up fruit, veggies, nuts, raisins and other nutritious things you might like to enjoy for a snack. Take these with you to work, keep them in your purse or even your child's diaper bag. {Obviously I wouldn't leave fruit or veggies in a bag unless they are going to be eaten soon.}

Steer clear of foods with lots of simple carbohydrates (sugars) like candy bars or soda. Look for foods that contain complex carbohydrates like whole-grain breads and cereals and combine them with protein-rich snacks such as peanut butter or low-fat yogurt or cheese.


Make your own healthy trail mix. This is easy to keep in a sealed container on your counter or in your pantry. Grab a handful and drink a glass of water. Just don't have too many handfuls.

via

This cashew-strawberry crunch is a gourmet version of an adult peanut butter and jelly sandwich.


A perfect snack for summer is fruit dipped in Greek yogurt and then frozen. After it hardens, put them all together in a plastic bag so you can take them out a few at a time.

via

Have you tried kale chips? Of course they aren't like normal chips, but they are very healthy and have a little crunch to them. Daph posted a recipe a few weeks ago, too.


Check out these other links for other ideas for healthy snacking.

30 Healthy Picks
Healthy Kid Snacks
Healthy Toddler Snacks
88 Snacks Under 100 Calories
77 Healthy Snacks

7 comments:

  1. Love this post! I am always looking for healthy snack ideas. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. I love the idea of putting snacks in a snack size baggies for quick snacks to-go! I need to do this for work for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great tips! I'm a big snacker all throughout the day, so I eat lots of greek yogurt, fruit, cheese, etc... I love the idea of the yogurt dipped strawberries! Definitely doing that. I've also been curious to try baked kale chips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great ideas! I am a huge snacker and appreciate healthier versions. Stacie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try not to eat cereal anymore, but when I used to I would portion it out into the baggies as soon as I brough it home. Yes, it would take about 10 minutes and seems silly, but it really makes you more aware of how much cereal you really eat. No, a whole bowl full is not just one serving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! I am working really hard on "proper" snacking to keep myself full between meals and these are some perfect ideas for me! I love the idea of making my own trail mix and having it out on the counter. This would help the hubby too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. 5 Great Healthy Snacks

    ReplyDelete